The VIA Arts Prize 2017 is open to all UK-based artists of any nationality, aged 16 or over.
Only artworks in the following forms will be accepted for submission:
- paintings, drawings and other works on paper;
Film and performance art are not under consideration.
Each artist can submit only one piece of work.
Submissions must be made by individuals only, not institutions, and can be solo or collaborative.
- Must be the sole and original work of the entrant.
- Must be easy to transport and made of non-perishable material.
- Must measure less than 2.5m (height) by 2m (width).
- Must be exhibition-ready and able to withstand mirror plating for hanging purposes.
- Must not have been previously exhibited.
- Must not infringe the copyrights or intellectual property rights of any person or entity.
- Must not violate the privacy of any person.
- Must not have any sexually explicit, violent or racist content.
- Must not be replicas of already-existing works.
Submissions will only be accepted between Thursday 25 May and midnight on Monday 16 October 2017, in the form of a completed Submissions Form, plus image file attachments. These must be submitted directly on our website.
The minimum requirements are that applicants send:
- High quality image files of their work in JPEG format, min 300dpi resolution, sized between 3 and 5MB. Image files must be named by following this format: YourLastName_YourFirstName_ArtWorkTitle.jpeg
- A completed Submissions Form, including the following information:
- Contact information for registration and notification.
- A brief written text providing information about the artist (maximum 200 words), with a link to their website/blog or any other digital platform where their work can be seen (if applicable).
- A brief written description of the artwork (maximum 300 words), including: art form, title, dimensions, and explanatory remarks on how the artwork ties in with the proposed theme.
Submissions must be made in either English, Portuguese or Spanish.
These Full Terms and Conditions must be agreed to by ticking the box at the end of the Submissions Form; otherwise the submission will not be valid.
Late submissions or those which do not fulfil all necessary criteria will automatically be disqualified.
Participants must comply to the timetable for events as defined and published by ACALASP and the Brazilian Embassy. The published timetable is subject to alterations and updates.
If their artwork is chosen for display at the Embassy of Brazil during the pre-selection process, then it is the artists’ responsibility to deliver their work to the Embassy (14-16 Cockspur Street, London, SW1Y 5BL), making sure it is ready to be displayed – i.e. pictures must be framed; plinths must be provided for any work which needs one.
At all stages, the decisions of both the pre-selection curatorial committee and the special jury will be final and binding and no correspondence will be entered into.
The two prizewinning artists must relinquish all rights in relation to their physical artworks, since the 1st-placed artwork and 2nd placed artwork are to be given respectively to (1) the Embassy of Brazil, and (2) Itaú. Therefore artists are advised against making any deals relating to the sale of their artworks prior to the end of the exhibition period.
The Embassy will not permit the display of any advertising material relating to the sale of artworks, such as price tags or flyers, at the exhibition.
By agreeing to these terms and conditions, artists grant the organisers the right to reproduce images of their artworks on the VIA Arts Prize website, and on all print and digital promotional material, including (but not limited to) social media.
Remaining artworks should be collected from the Embassy between 23 – 30 November 2017, after which time the Embassy will not be held responsible for them.
The responsibility for damage or loss to artworks, however caused, is the responsibility of the artist. Therefore artists whose works are chosen for display at the Embassy of Brazil after the pre-selection process, if they have concerns, are advised to arrange adequate insurance cover against such risks (including those associated with damage or theft while on exhibition or in transit).