The VIA Arts Prize 2019 is open to all UK-based artists of any nationality, aged 16 or over.
All submitted works must be inspired by a specific artist, artwork or cultural expression from Latin America, Spain or Portugal. Applicants must clearly demonstrate how the work is inspired by this particular artist, artwork or cultural expression within their application.
Only artworks in the following forms will be accepted for submission:
- Mixed Media/ assemblage;
- Digital print (non-photographic);
- Textiles and tapestry.
Film and performance art are not under consideration.
Each artist can submit only one piece of work.
Submissions must be made by individuals only, not institutions, and can be solo or collaborative.
- Must be the sole and original work of the entrant or collaborative partnership/ collective.
- Must be easy to transport and made of non-perishable material.
- Must be exhibition-ready and ready for hanging (or for other means of display, as appropriate), complete with all fixtures and fittings, or plinths or display cases.
- Must not be replicas of already-existing works.
- Must not have been previously exhibited, with the exception of degree show work.
- Must not infringe the copyrights or intellectual property rights of any person, organisation or entity.
- Must not violate the privacy of any person.
- Must not have any sexually explicit, violent or racist content.
Artwork dimensions and weight:
- Paintings, drawings, other works on paper, photography, prints, engravings, tapestries and wall sculptures can measure a maximum of 2.0m (height) by 2.0m (width).
- Artworks which require hanging must not weigh more than 80kg.
- All artworks must be able to enter a doorway of 2m (height) by 1.5m (width); works larger than this must be able to be assembled in parts.
Submissions will only be accepted between 12:00 on Monday 15th April 2019, and 23:59 on Monday 30th September 2019, by way of a completed Submissions Form, plus image file attachments. These must be submitted directly on our website following the instructions provided in the online submissions form.
Submissions must be made in either English, Portuguese or Spanish. Please note that should your artwork make it into the finalists’ exhibition, we will require you to provide an English version of your application for labelling purposes and to facilitate the final judging process.
Late submissions or those that do not fulfil all necessary criteria will be automatically disqualified.
Participants must comply to the timetable for events as defined and published by ACALASP and the Embassy of Brazil. The published timetable is subject to alterations and updates.
If their artwork is chosen for display at the Embassy of Brazil during the pre-selection process, it is the artists’ responsibility to deliver their work to the Embassy (14-16 Cockspur Street, London, SW1Y 5BL). Dates for delivery and installation in early November will be defined by the organisers and must be adhered to. Artists are responsible for paying the travel costs to and from the Embassy of Brazil. The presence of the artist may be required for the installation of their piece, should the installation team find it necessary. Installation may occur on a different date or time to their delivery.
The responsibility for damage or loss to artworks, however caused, lies with the artist. Should artists, whose works are chosen for display at the Embassy of Brazil after the pre-selection process, have concerns, they are advised to arrange adequate insurance cover against such risks (including those associated with damage or theft while on exhibition or in transit).
At all stages, the decisions of both the pre-selection curatorial committee and the special jury will be final and binding and no correspondence will be entered into.
The prizewinning/shortlisted artists must waive fees for both exhibition and images of their submitted pieces for other projects organised by the VIA Arts Prize.
The responsibility for costs of the solo show, offered to the first prizewinner, lie with the artist.
The Embassy will not permit the display of any advertising material relating to the sale of artworks, such as price tags or flyers, at the exhibition.
By agreeing to these terms and conditions, artists grant the organisers the right to reproduce images of their artworks on the VIA Arts Prize website, and on all print and digital promotional material, including (but not limited to) social media, now and in the future.
Remaining artworks must be collected from the Embassy between 19th and 20th of December after which time the Embassy will not be held responsible for them.
These full Terms and Conditions must be agreed to by ticking the box at the end of the Submissions Form; otherwise the submission will not be valid.
End of Terms and Conditions